For as long as humans have had hair, they have been looking for ways to remove it. Hair growth is something we don’t have much control over (if any), but we can control hair removal.
This article will show you a simple way to remove hair using a DIY recipe that includes natural raw honey.
- Honey is excellent at removing facial hair.
- Making your honey wax is extremely easy, and it only involves a couple of common household ingredients.
- Removing hair with honey is not permanent but is one of the best natural ways to do it.
Does Honey Remove Facial Hair Permanently?
Honey removes facial hair permanently. You might be thinking “It sounds too good to be true? Sort of.
Waxing using honey, or any other wax removes hair most of the time. However, it does not remove the hair follicle which are small, pocket-like holes in our skin.
To permanently destroy a hair follicle, you must be able to kill the follicle’s base, which is where the hair receives its blood supply and regeneration potential.
And to do so, you’ll require an energy-based treatment like lasers or IPL. Note that even laser hair removal isn’t really permanent, as annual touch-ups are frequently required.
So yes, honey can remove facial hair but not the hair follicle which means that the hair will likely start growing again eventually.
Why Use Honey to Remove Facial Hair?
Using honey to remove unwanted facial hair is a thing that many people around the world do. Why? Because it works. This is according to the review titled Honey: A Therapeutic Agent for Disorders of the Skin that showed positive dermatological effects of honey.
It’s an excellent method to remove facial hair and get that smooth looking face you’ve always wanted to have.
Choosing a DIY approach of removing hair with honey will save you from going to salons or purchasing expensive waxing products that might contain unnecessary chemicals that do more harm than good.
You can make your own DIY hair removal product using only a couple of household ingredients.
Let’s first talk about how you can make your honey wax at home (some personal tips are included).
Natural Honey Remedy to Remove Hair
Making your honey wax for removing unwanted hair is extremely easy. All you need are a couple of common household ingredients, and you are ready to go.
You can use a couple of different options to make your own homemade honey wax for hair removal. The recipes are pretty quick and straightforward to make.
Lemon and Honey for Unwanted Facial Hair Removal
This recipe requires the use of honey and lemon. If you follow the below steps, you will end up with a 100% natural hair removal mixture.
The reason behind adding lemon is that it will bleach any facial hair that might have “survived” the waxing process (making it virtually impossible to spot).
Note: Do not use too much lemon or too often. Lemon juice is very acidic and generally not the best ingredient to use on your skin long term.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey with half a tablespoon of lemon juice (squeeze the lemon beforehand to make said juice).
- Put it all up in a bowl, or you could use a mug or a glass (there isn’t much liquid, so a bowl might be overkill, so to speak).
- Once you get everything mixed, apply the whole thing to your upper lip.
- Leave it on your upper lip for about 20 minutes.
- Get yourself a washcloth and soak it in warm water.
- Wipe off your upper lip area with the washcloth.
- Wash your face with cool water afterwards.
Want to see the other natural option for removing body hair? Look into our Sugar Wax Recipe.
Alternative Ways to Remove Facial Hair
Using honey is one of the best remedies for natural hair removal. However, there are a few other ways that can help you remove facial hair including:
- Shaving is a quick process that is easily done at home. The only downside about shaving is that you have to do it regularly (every 3-4 days).
- Plucking/Tweezing is one of the oldest hair removal methods, plucking and tweezing involves the use of small tools (like tweezers) to remove hair by its roots. While only a few hairs are removed at any given time, this method can last up to 6 weeks before more hair growth occurs.
- Gel. If you are tired of using hair removal creams, gels may be an option for you because they are easy to use and pose less risk of infection than other products. Gels are applied to the skin and removed after a certain amount of time by wiping off the residue.
- Laser. Yes, laser procedures are also one way to help you get rid of unwanted body hair. Laser treatments aren’t permanent; they only slow down hair growth and skin may occasionally itch or develop an irritation during the treatment period. Lasers can either be used on their own or combined with other hair removal treatments such as electrolysis or chemicals (topical medications).
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) is a treatment for hair removal that uses a specific wavelength of light to target the pigment in the hair follicles. It effectively slows down new hair growth but can also lead to some skin irritation. IPLs can be done at home or with a professional machine in your local salon.
- Chemical Peels. Chemical peeling is also an option for you if you are looking for ways to remove facial hair permanently. Chemical peels are available in different forms like glycolic acid and salicylic acid among others. Chemical peels work by using a chemical agent that is applied to your skin (not recommended). As the product works, it makes tiny wounds on your skin that can in turn cause new hair growth to shed off your face or body.
- Electrolysis. Like laser treatment, electrolysis is a procedure that involves passing a low level of electrical current to treat unwanted body hair follicles. This process can be done either at home or with the help of a professional at any local salon. Electrolysis is more permanent than laser treatment and lasts longer, but also requires more time and appointments. Electrolysis is an option for those who are looking for permanent hair removal.
- Waxing is a good alternative to shaving, and it works similarly. It may be used to remove unwanted facial hair or on other parts of your body. Hair removal wax is available at any local beauty supply store, but if you choose to make your own wax, go to the top of this article to see how to do it using honey.
The Bottom Line
We’ve talked about a couple of ways you can use honey to remove hair from your body. Nothing is permanent (I think we should all accept that), so if you want the best chance of removing the hair for good, you’ll need to look into getting a laser treatment.
But, if you want a natural way to remove hair, consider buying local honey and making a homemade remedy.